Hertford Methodist Church seeks to serve God in Hertford and the wider world through love and fellowship

History

Below is a timeline of key events relating to the Hertford Methodist Church.

  • 1763

    March 10th. John Wesley preached, probably in the market place.


  • 1767

    Benjamin Colley preached - impressed Abraham Andrews.

  • 1768

    Schoolroom built by Abraham Andrews at rear of 25 Castle Street.

  • 1768

    John Wesley preached in the schoolroom.

  • 1772

    January 17th. John Wesley preached to girls, then boys and, in the evening, adults.

  • 1772

    December 18th. John Wesley returns but there is no society. He does not preach.

  • 1775

    February 13th. John Wesley preaches at 'poor dead Hertford' to a room full of people.

  • 1775

    December 20th. John Wesley comes again.

  • 1776

    December 9th. John Wesley 'for once saw a serious and quiet congregation'.

  • 1778

    October 30th. John Wesley 'preached at noon to 50 or 60 dull creatures at poor desolate Hertford.

  • 1808

    Hertford separated from the Bedford Circuit and became head of the Circuit.

  • 1811

    Hertford Circuit ended.

  • 1827

    Methodists meeting in Back Street (now Railway Street) in Butcherly Green (Bircherley Green), directly opposite the Friends Meeting House.

  • 1831-1845

    In the Bishop's Stortford circuit.

  • 1840

    Moved to 14 Railway Street on the corner of Market Place.

  • 1845-1853

    In the Ware and Bishop's Stortford Circuit.

  • 1850

    Moved to a Calvinistic Methodist chapel belonging to the Countess of Huntingdon Connexion.

  • 1853

    Head of circuit again. Land purchased in Ware Road for £200.

  • 1859

    Wesley Chapel and Primitive Methodist Chapel both in Railway Street.

  • 1865

    Chapel opened at a cost of under £1,000.

  • 1870

    No mention of Primitive Methodists in the town.

  • 1885

    Waltham Abbey and Hertford Circuit formed.

  • 1890

    March 15th Church reopened after considerable refurbishment. Seating for 350! 150 scholars! Midweek services as well as 2 on Sundays.

  • 1896

    33 Ware Road bought for a manse.

  • 1902

    London and Hertford Mission Circuit formed, which included Bishop's Stortford.

  • 1907

    Manse sold.

  • 1912

    Circuit divided again to form the Waltham Abbey and Hertford Circuit, separate from the Bishop's Stortford group.

  • 1920

    11 Queen's Road bought for a manse.

  • 1929

    Renovations including removal of pews, pulpit moved to the side and radiators installed. Cost £675.

  • 1936

    Small plot of land bought at the back of the property giving access from Townshend Street.

  • 1944

    Small plot of land bought adjoining the building.

  • 1958

    Decision to demolish and rebuild. 'The toilets were disgusting!'. Membership 94.

  • Pre 1963

    13 Ware Road bought from Enfield Highway Co-operative Society, adding 27' to the 45' frontage.

  • 1963

    November 9th. Reopened at cost of £32,000. Membership 103.

  • 1967

    Manse in Queen's Road sold, 104 Ware Road bought.

  • 1969?

    15 Ware Road purchased by generous donation.

  • 1986

    Suggestion to open up the front of church.

  • 1997

    Ware Road manse sold, 14 Jasmine Drive bought.

  • 1999-

    Pulpit removed, communion area re-designed and carpeted.

  • 2000

    Pews removed, floor stripped and re-sealed. New pulpit and communion rail made from old pews.

  • 2004

    Fund raising commences for the project.

  • 2005

    15 Ware Road sold. Monies towards the project.

  • 2006

    Phase 1. Sanctuary roof insulated, new windows, new lightning, central heating system upgraded.

  • 2010

    Phases 2 & 3. New foyer, servery, vestry, toilets, existing kitchen enlarged.

  • 2010

    September 25th. Opening and Hog Roast.

  • 2010

    October 10th Re-dedication of Sanctuary. Membership 77.

  • 2019

    New Website